Monday, February 28, 2011

Best Documentary Features of 2010

As a true documentary film enthusiast/obsessive, high on my list of awards to watch last night was the Best Documentary Feature award. Naturally, my pick didn't wrap it up (spoiler alert!), but I'm pleased with the Academy's decision in what has been a strong year in documentary filmmaking. I've still got a few docs from 2010 on my list (Waste Land isn't out on DVD until March 15), but since I have class in about 30 minutes, here's my abbreviated list of the best documentaries of 2010:

NOMINEES AND NOTABLE SNUBS


6. Exit Through the Gift Shop
What has become a bit of a cult favorite (especially among college students) was probably the film I was cheering most heavily against last night. Not because I don't think it's good, and not even because I have some kind of problem with Banksy, but just because I look for emotion in documentaries. The best documentary films (to me) portray people in such a way that you cannot help but relate. They tell a single-minded story which either 1) makes your day or 2) ruins your day. Docs like "Gift Shop" whose appeal are less grounded in storytelling and emotion and more grounded in what I'd classify as a "cool" or "trendy" or "fun" topic (See: Dogtown and Z-Boys) don't become bad simply for the lack of these traits, but they cannot live up to the level of the films above it. Maybe it's my journalistic bias, but I think this kind of filmmaking, while fun to watch and interesting, simply cannot compare to social/cultural documentaries.


5. The Tillman Story
This is a truly, deeply moving story. I've been a Tillman fan ever since he first quit the NFL to enlist. Little did I know everything that was going on in his life, and all that would happen. This documentary brings to light the incredible manipulation of Tillman's image (by basically everyone involved, not just the government). It's a film that every sports fan and every potential member of the press should see.


4. Waiting for "Superman"
Davis Guggenheim's follow-up to An Inconvenient Truth takes an issue which I thought I understood (Education...we need more money, right?) and completely turns it on its head. Depending a bit on what school of thought you belong to, "Superman" may completely shake up your opinions of education. Culminating masterfully with a lottery to see which kids are accepted into the best schools, Guggenheim's film shows his ability to wrap issues and backstory around an ever-progressing train, something which is hard to do effectively.


THE BIG THREE


3. Inside Job
Last night's winner fits into the category of documentaries from this year which I would call "Films that could win without angering me."  I love (note: LOVE) Charles Ferguson. I don't think there's a filmmaker alive (Sorry, Michael Moore) who better personifies the most important ideals of journalism, and this is no different. Inside Job is a truly infuriating film. Ferguson said in his speech last night that no major execs have been jailed since his film was released, and if you've seen the film, you would be as angry about that as I am.


2. Gasland
Gasland is my entry this year for "Best Documentary Made by an Inexperience Documentarian." Josh Fox made this not to shove in peoples' faces, but because the issue matters to him, and that comes through in the film. Some, especially oil-types, will call this film one-sided, but I don't see how you can watch it and tell me that there's nothing wrong with what's going on. (This sentence has been crafted to avoid spoilers). Watch it and be terrified.


1. Restrepo
Both what I'd call my favorite and my best documentary of the year. Restrepo has it all: single-minded story, INCREDIBLE appeals to emotion, lovable cast of characters, an examination of important social issues, probably the most "action" I've ever seen in a nonfiction film. These filmmakers have captured on film what I never would have expected them to. This is among the most emotionally challenging documentaries I have seen...ever. It's my pick for Best Documentary Feature for 2010, but I didn't really expect it to win. After all, since when has the Academy ever made the right choice? (Apologies to The King's Speech)






"Winning, anyone? Rhymes with winning? Anyone? Yeah, that'd be us. Sorry man, didn't make the rules."
                                            --The Immortal Charlie Sheen

1 comment:

  1. I know for certain that one day, we will understand Charlie Sheen's brilliance as much as he does right now. My life will be changed.

    ReplyDelete